- April, 2017 - Dr. Ahn's collaborative research project with Seoul National University (South Korea), Non-intrusive Elderly Smart-home Healthcare System for Monitoring Short-term and Long-term Anomaly in Daily Activity Patterns, is chosen to be funded by the Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement.
- April, 2017 - Dr. Ahn's research project, Profiling individual risk perception from continuous behavioral measurement in the construction workplace, is chosen to be funded by UNL Layman's Award.
- March, 2017 - Dr. Ahn's research project on assessing the built environment was featured in Channel 8 ABC news.
- March, 2017 - Nebraska Today (UNL's newspaper) introduced the research project of Dr. Ahn and his collaborator, Dr. Nam, which is entitled "Human-Centric Sensing Platform to Assess Neighborhood Physical Disorder".
- March, 2017 - Our paper entitled “Identifying Safety Hazards Using Collective Bodily Responses of Workers” is now selected as “Editor’s Choice” in the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- January, 2017 - Mohammad and Dr. Ahn successfully presented their poster in TRB 2017 Conference. Congratulations!
- November, 2016 - Dr. Ahn's research project, Faculty Learning Community (FCL) in Multidiscipilinary STEM School, is chosen to be funded by the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, University of Nebraska.
- September, 2016 - Kanghyeok successfully completed his PhD comprehensive exam and became a PhD candidate. Congratulations!
- September, 2016 - We had a kick-off group meeting for the new Fall semester. Also, a new member joined to our group in this semester. Welcome Reza!
- September, 2016 - Journal paper by Hyunsoo Kim, Changbum R Ahn, and Kanghyeok Yang on "A People-Centric Sensing Approach to Detecting Sidewalk Defects." accepted by Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier.
- August, 2016 - Dr. Ahn's research project, Human Centric Sensing Platform to Assess Neighborhood Physical Disorder, is chosen to be funded by National Science Foundation, Smart and Connected Community Program.
- July, 2016 - Kanghyeok successfully presented his papers in 33rd International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction with this title: “Sensing Workers Gait Abnormality for Safety Hazard Identification.” Congratulations!
- July, 2016 - Hyunsoo successfully presented these two papers in 16th International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering:
Kim, H., Yang, K., and Ahn, C.R. (2016) “Feasibility of Using Pedestrians’ Physical Stability to Detect Defects in a Sidewalk.” 16th International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, ISCCBE, July 6-8, 2016, Osaka, Japan
Yang, K., Kim, H., Ahn, C.R. and Stentz. T. (2016) “A Near-Miss Fall Detection Technique for Ironworkers Using a Hybrid Machine Learning Approach.” 16th International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, ISCCBE, July 6-8, 2016, Osaka, Japan
- May, 2016 - We had an "intellectual and fun" (it is possible to have both at the same time!) group meeting at Cultiva to celebrate the end of Spring semester.
- May, 2016 - Journal paper by Kanghyeok Yang, Changbum R Ahn, Mehmet C Vuran and Sepideh S Aria on "Semi-Supervised Near-Miss Fall Detection for Ironworkers with a Wearable Inertial Measurement Unit accepted by Automation in Construction, Elsevier.
- April, 2016 - Houtan, former MS student, received the Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award from the College of Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Congratulations!
- January, 2016 - Dr. Ahn's research project, Revealing Hidden Safety Hazards Using Workers' Collective Bodily and Behavioral Response Patterns, is chosen to be funded by National Science Foundation.
- December, 2015 - Journal paper by Houtan Jebelli, Changbum R Ahn, and Terry L Stentz on "Fall risk analysis of construction workers using inertial measurement units: Validating the usefulness of the postural stability metrics in construction." accepted by Safety Science Journal, Elsevier.
- September, 2015 - Journal paper by Hamed Nabizadeh Rafsanjani, Changbum R. Ahn, and Mahmoud Alahmad on "A Review of Approaches for Sensing, Understanding, and Improving Occupancy-Related Energy-Use Behaviors in Commercial Buildings" accepted by Energies Journal, MDPI.
- August, 2016 - We had the start-up group meeting at Mill for the begining of Fall semester.
- August, 2015 - Conference paper by Houtan Jebelli, Kanghyeok Yang, Changbum R Ahn, and Terry L Stentz on "Symmetrical and asymmetrical tool belt loading effects on the postural stability of construction workers" accepted.
- June, 2015 - Journal paper by Houtan Jebelli, Changbum Ahn, and Terry Stentz on "Quantitative Measurement of Construction Workers’ Fall Risk Using Inertial Measurement Units: Validation of Maximum Lyapunov Exponents to Assess the Gait-Stability of Iron Workers" was accepted by ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
- May, 2015 - Congratulations to Houtan Jebelli who presented his master's thesis.
- May, 2015 - Alvaro Maciel, Bryan Lacerda and Thamires Perrone, exchange undergraduate students from Brazil, joined our Research Group.
- May, 2015 - David Engelhaupt is selected as a recipient of UCARE award for the 2015-16 academic year. Congratulations!
- Feb, 2015 - Journal paper by Hyunsoo Kim, HyunSoo Lee, Moonseo Park, Changbum Ahn, and Sungjoo Hwang on "Productivity Forecasting of Newly Added Workers Based on Time-Series Analysis and Site Learning" was accepted by ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
Jan, 2015 - Dr. Ahn's research project, Effectiveness of a Pneumatic Crack Routing Device – Phase II, is chosen to be funded by Nebraska Department of Road.
Oct, 2014 - Dr. Changbum Ahn is selected as 2014-2015 UNL Research Development Fellows. Congratulations!
July, 2014 - Journal paper by Jiayu Chen and Changbum Ahn on "Assessing Occupants' Energy Load Variation through Existing Wireless Network Infrastructure in Commercial and Educational Buildings Energy and Buildings" was accepted by Energy and Buildings, Elsevier.
May, 2014 - Tim Adams is selected again as a recipient of UCARE award for the 2014-15 academic year. Congratulations!
Jan, 2014 - Dr. Changbum Ahn has been selected as a recipient of the NSF Travel Grant for 2014 Construction Engineering Conference.
Dec, 2013 - Dr. Changbum Ahn awarded the Research Council Interdisciplinary Grant from University of Nebraska for the project, “Measuring Occupants' Energy Consuming Behaviors in Commercial and Educational Buildings: Occupancy Detecting Approach Based Upon Existing Wireless Network Infrastructure.”
Dec, 2013 – Dr. Changbum Ahn has been appointed as the Assistant Specialty Editor of the ASCE Journal of Construction Management and Engineering.
Aug, 2013 – Kanghyeok awarded 1st Place Poster Award in the US-Korea Conference on Science, Technology and Entrepreneurship 2013 which was held at Rutherford, NJ. Congratulations!
July, 2013 – Congratulations to Dr. Jiayu Chen who began an Assistant Professor faculty position at the City University of Hong Kong and launched the Building Environment and Eco-Informatics Lab.
June, 2013 - Journal paper by Ahn, Lewis, Golparvar-Fard and Lee on “Toward An Integrated Framework for Estimating, Benchmarking, and Monitoring the Pollutant Emissions of Construction Operations.” was accepted by the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (Special Issue on the Consideration of Sustainability in Construction Engineering and Management).
June, 2013 - Journal paper by Ahn, Lee and Pena-Mora on “The Application of Low-Cost Accelerometers for Measuring the Operational Efficiency of a Construction Equipment Fleet.” was accepted by the ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
June, 2013 - Journal paper by Liu, Ahn, An and Lee on “Life Cycle Assessment of Concrete Dam Construction: Comparison of Environmental Impacts Between Rock-Filled and Conventional Concrete." was accepted by the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (Special Issue on the Consideration of Sustainability in Construction Engineering and Management).
Jan 2013 - Dr. Changbum Ahn awarded a two-year $99,649 grant from Nebraska Research Initiatives to develop the project, “Construction Safety Hazard Detection through Continuous Monitoring of Construction Workers’ Behavior Using Wearable Wireless Sensor Networks.”
Jan 2013 - Dr. Changbum Ahn won the best paper award at the 2013 International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management held at Anaheim, CA. The title of the paper is “Construction Equipment Activity Recognition from Accelerometer Data for Monitoring Operational Efficiency and Environmental Performance”.